Saturday, December 15, 2007

Happy Birthday, Uncle

Friday is my uncle's birthday. My uncle is a legend in his generation and he is also the Singapore proud. He is the immigrant from Hainan Island to Singapore when he was 10 years old. His father operating a coffee shop. When he earned enough money, he bought a boat to ferry goods from Singapore and Indonesia. I think that is his second fortune. He then invested in property estate in Katong area and 4 three stories building in Beach Road. He built his bungalow in a land used to house 72 families. This bungalow was just sold to Keppel to build condomium few years ago. He was the shipping agencies for other ship owners and set up offices in Taiwan. He built offices in Gudong Province ( He regret he did not built the offices in Hong Kong). He trade raw oil to China. I heard he has bought rubber plantation in Indonesia as well. When he decided to retire from the active businesses, he established his final baby - the seven stories Hotel without any bank financing, it is a debt free hotel. All his children work for him. He is a billant businessman. In his hey day, he was the honourable chairman in St John. His picture was published in the annual magazine for many years.

His advice to me is to be trifty. He said he able to accumulate wealth because he knows how to save. I remember his bungalow roof was leaking in the kitchen and one of the gaint room for many years when we visited him during Chinese New Years.

How many man can do so much in his life time? Answer is less than 1% of the population. He is the one belong to that group.

I respect my uncle, he is my idol. He is friendly and lead a simple life. He doesn't drink, smoke and gambling. He is a great looking man even he already in his 80. I hope he can live many more years, enjoy his fruits of hardwork. I believe it will because his father also live till 100 years old.

Cheers, uncle.

No comments: