Monday, December 3, 2007

You are boss, so what?

Last Saturday, my friend was kind enough to introduce me to a beauty salon at Far East Plaza to do Mani and Padi for a white lady.

This is the first time I came to the salon. When I entered the room, I naturally tried to look for my friend Susan, who is a masseur there. This is a small salon, there are four beds in a very tight space, with all the facial equipments around, you can imagine how clam this place is. Since everyone there were busy, there wasn't any introduction or orientation. But without any introduction, I immediately recognized who was the boss here.

The assistant was kind enough to take the pail of water for me, this woman said in an unpleasant voice, "Why you help her to take, let her take herself, so that next time she knows where to take the things. (How come she so sure I will come here the second time?)

Before I started to work on the customer, she asked how long have I been in Mani and Padi? I told her, honestly, one year. I can sense that she felt very doubtful of my skill because she told me be careful of what I do. (I think a novice will lost her confidence and become nerves when she speak!) I assured her that I worked on average of 3-4 customers a day. Then she asked me how long do I need to complete the job, I told her, frankly, about 2 hours. She immediately hurry me to finish the job as soon as possible. She claimed that this customer doing mani and padi almost every 2 weeks, so it should not take such a long time.(I felt like asking her to do the job herself!) The fact was, her nail doesn't look like those doing every 2 weeks, because the cuticles and the hard skin in the sole was very thick. Later Susan revealed to me that the manicurist that care for her every 2 weeks is a novice, she probably did not cut the cuticle properly. (You need experience to cut the cuticle properly!)

When I finished the job, the customer was very pleased with the work done. I told the boss she should collect S$20/- more because I have done the treatment for her sole, and the customer has agreed to pay. She looked surprised and asked the customer: "She said you agreed to pay S$70/- !" The customer knob the head and said yes, she said it worth every cent. The lady boss change her tone, I also want to ask her to remove the hard skin next time. (I am not sure I want to be of service to her!)

Then she asked me to hurry to clear my stuff and get out of the small room. While I was keeping my stuff, she raised her voice, "Get out now, I need the room!" (Eventually, I went off without keeping my microscope. What the hell?)

I am a freelance manicurist, it is good to have additional outlet to go. But this type of boss will spoil my happy mood. You think an unhappy person can do beautifull work? This is a service line, we ourself have to have good mood to produce the good work. I don't understand how come her business can be so good if she doesn't understand this. Anyway, luckily she is the first person I encounter so rude to the freelance worker. All other bosses are very kind to me so far.
Thanks God!

No comments: