Saturday, August 25, 2007

Can you help me to extend my stay here?

Today, a stranger from China came in to our shop. He thought I came from China as well. This is his first visit to Singapore. He came with a group of friends. They got traveling visa for one month from Singapore immigration. He said he would like to extend his visa for a few more months, so that he can survey how to set up a business in Singapore. I told him he can check with agent whom business is to help them relocate here. He said he afraid these people might be a swinger, take the money but can never deliver the promise. He showed me a name card, he has talked to the agency, they demand S$5000-S$6000/-, and promise able to settle his wife and child here. I asked him, how old is your child? He said the younger one is 3 year old and the older one already working. Both are boys.

I asked, "What business you want to do in Singapore?" He said he want to sell "Ginseng" to Singapore. I said, "Did you bring any sample with you?" Apparently he didn't. He actually already tried to offer to some of the Chinese Herb Shop in Singapore. But they only agreed to pay about 50% of the market price, some even offer 40%. He said he can sell that kind of offer price in China. So, he thought must well I open a shop in Singapore and earn all the profit. I think he has the vision of becoming a millionaire soon in Singapore if he can sell the mountain full of "Ginseng" to Singapore.

I did not mean to discourage him. I said, "Singapore is a capitalise country, if you have money and you want to earn more money from Singapore is possible. But if you don't have money, and you want to make money from here, it is not easy." "You see our this tiny little shop cost almost S$4K every month, hasn't included electricity bill, telephone bill, Internet line, and the salary........ it is not easy to set up a shop here." I said, "Why not you try to find a job in Singapore..........but you don't have any skill and education, you don't have much option here. I saw Singapore lately recruits Chinese workers here as cleaner, last time, I only see cleaner from Bangladesh, and Sri-Lanka. But, now they recruits Chinese, you can try. I warn you, the salary won't be high, but you have a lot of spare time after work so that you can survey the market here."

He replied, his group of friends who are visiting Singapore together with him, all have the desire to find a job in Singapore. He wants to be a businessman, and bring his wife and children to settle down in Singapore, and his wife is doing Amway in China, she can do Amay in Singapore. I said,"If you want to bring "Ginseng to Singapore, you better check is there any requirement of import licence? When the stocks arrived, is it necessary to send to certain authority eg Primary Productivity Board for checking? Any taxation to bring in such item" "You must do a lot of checking and homework before you come here." I suggest to him,"If you really have goods stuff, you no need to think of Singapore market only, you can sell to other country as well. It is easier for you to start at under develop country than here." But, Singapore is such a organised, efficient and safe country to stay that people from all over the world are flying in. I know he prefers to stay in Singapore than going elsewhere.

He said, "May be you can also help me!" I don't see this as business opportunity, I smell trouble, frankly. He was fined 8000 china money(equivalent to S$400/-) when he landed in Singapore Airport because he brought in 2 packs of cigarette (12 pcs/pack) from China. He didn't know he can't bring cigarette with unpaid tax to Singapore. He said despite his plead, the custom is very firm with him, either pay the fined or deport from Singapore and go back to China straight away. He finally chose to pay the fine and stay in Singapore. He said he brought the cigarette on behalf of his friend in China. In order to save the S$800/- he walked from Great world area to People's Park Centre!

Finally, I direct him the way to our Immigration Dept at Lavender Street to check the possibility of extension his visit to Singapore.

No comments: