Thursday, June 7, 2007

1000 ways to be thrifty

I want to share my experiences of being "thrifty" in real life. These are not somethings I am born and capable of but it is somethings I have learned and practice in these recent years.
1. I trim my own hair and trim hair for my son as well. I save at least S$10/- for the 10Min's hair cut, and another S$10/- for my son's hair cut.
2. I brought a lot of 2nd hand and discounted clothes. A 2nd hand T-Shirt costs about S$2/- each, a 2nd hand dress costs about S$5/-. They are able to get from the flea market. You can check it out in from the flea market from Kambagan CC. They have flea market every 1st Saturday of the month. The most important they are comfortable. Sometimes if you are lucky, you can get the brand one at unbelievable price.
3. I don't subscribe to SCV - the paid cable TV. We watch channel 5, channel 8 and kids centre. There are so many programme to watch, they are good enough.
4. I tried to cook at home. Imagine a packet of First Choice Roti Prata, consists of 6 pcs of crispy pancake cost only S$1.80/-. It works out to be only S$0.30/-each for a Prata without egg. A Roti Prata with egg selling in the hawker centre is S$1.20/-each with egg, and S$0.60/each without egg.
5. My friends give me some clothes because their son has outgrown the size. I clean up and let my son wear them. Important it is comfortable.
6. I tried to arrange things in the order. For example, all the stationery's put in one corner, so that I don't buy things because I can't allocate them. Very often, we buy things we already have because we don't know where we have put them.
7. I wear one same shoes all the time, until they have wear and tear. I notice that I only need 2 pairs of shoes a year.
8. Nowadays, every bank check a fees if you don't keep a stated average minimum sum in the bank. eg S$2/- will be deducted for less than S$500/- deposit in DBS bank. Try to avoid the charges by keeping up with the minimum deposit.
9. Make paying the bill the priority. PUB, conservancy charges, telephone bill, TV licence, property tax, income tax, installment for the home etc. Nowadays, every reminder letter is additional of S$0.50/-, the penalty and the interest is really not worth to pay for.
10. If we don't have spare money to spend, cut down the window shopping. As I said, there are so many beautify things out there to tempt you to spend money. If you don't see, you can save your temptation, and that will save you a lot of money.
11. To borrow books from our National Library. You don't need to buy books and magazine every time. You can go to the nearest Library for a browse. One card can borrow 4 books and the period is 21 days. It save space too, because we don't need to find a place for that extra book.
12. Use up the hair shampoo, cosmetic, body lotion before you buy new one. Use up things already bought, don't waste. If you start now, you will notice that you have a lot of unfinished goods in your house, they in fact still can be used.
13. I use the paid phone card instead of the fixed monthly subscript phone line. A S$20/- card sometimes can stretch to 2 months. Don't use the mobile phone to chit chat.

There are more to be continued...................

No comments: